Monitor Student Progress and Accurately Assess What They have Learned.
Delta Science Modules offer frequent and varied opportunities to assess students’ understanding of the science concepts and skills in the unit. Assessment features include a three-part Activity Assessment: hands-on, visual analysis, and critical thinking; assessment ideas for the Delta Science Readers; and a Unit Test (Third Edition only) for vocabulary and concepts for grades 2–6.
- Highlighted questions in Guiding the Activity or Guide the Reading offer embedded opportunities to assess student comprehension. Reinforcement ideas for some activity lessons are identified as particularly appropriate for ongoing assessment.
- Students show their understanding of the science topic and apply critical thinking skills as they complete a hands-on task.
- Students analyze and interpret information that is presented in a visual format and have an opportunity to demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- In the teaching section for the Delta Science Readers, key comprehension questions are listed in After Reading: Review/Assess. Writing Links provide critical thinking questions.
- A Unit Test covers key vocabulary and concepts for the module. The Unit Test is provided for grades 2–6 modules. (The Unit Test is only available with Third Edition modules.)
- As appropriate, help students select materials for a portfolio. It may include selected activity sheets, assessment sheets, and/or student written responses to Review/Assess or Writing Links for the Delta Science Readers.