Insects and Plants
The Insects and Plants Module provides experiences with the life
sequences of a number of insects so that students learn that organisms reproduce
offspring of their own kind. At the same time, students grow a plant from seeds and
observe brassica go through its life cycle to produce new seeds.
- Develop a curiosity and interest in insects and flowering plants and an
appreciation for them as living things.
- Provide for the needs of insects and plants and observe them over time.
- Observe the similarities and differences of the life sequences that different
types of insects exhibit (simple and complete metamorphosis).
- Compare the life cycles of different kinds of animals and learn that organisms
reproduce offspring of their own kind.
- Observe variations within a group of insects.
- Organize and communicate observations through drawing and writing and use bar
graphs to record data.
- Use magnifiers to observe and draw organisms.
- Write or draw a sequence of steps for an event.
- Investigation 1: Mealworms
- Investigation 2: Brassica Seeds
- Investigation 3: Milkweed Bugs
- Investigation 4: Silkworms
- Investigation 5: Butterflies