Materials in Our World
The Materials in Our World Module provides experiences that
heighten students' awareness, curiosity, and understanding of the physical world as
they observe and compare the properties of a variety of kinds of wood, paper, fabric,
and earth materials. Students discover what happens when they subject the materials to a
number of tests and interactions.
- Observe and compare physical properties of different kinds of wood samples, using
- Observe and compare properties and structures of different kinds of paper and
- Observe how wood, paper, and fabric interact with water.
- Explore the technology of making wood products.
- Observe and describe how and where fabrics are used.
- Observe, describe, and mix earth materials with water to observe properties.
- Communicate observations made about different kinds of materials, orally and
- Use knowledge of the properties of materials to create useful and/or aesthetic
- Investigation 1: Getting to Know Wood
- Investigation 2: Changing Wood
- Investigation 3: Getting to Know Paper
- Investigation 4: Getting to Know Fabric
- Investigation 5: Earth Materials